Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's a small world after all

In the wake of the 6.1 aftershock in Haiti today following so closely on the original 7.0 magnitude quake - I thought I should take some time out from my usual frivolous little travel musings. I often tout the benefits of travel. In my heart the only one that matters is global citizenship.

I don't know when it became clear to me that in addtion to being a US citizen I was a member of this planet as well. I remember: wiping happy tears away as the Berlin Wall came down in 1989,in 2000 praying for the Russian sub sailors trapped under the North Sea (and later their families) as the agonizing hours passed and in late 2005 patting the shoulder of a Irish footballer fan as he sobbed over the loss of George Best, their' Belfast Boy' in the most awkward elevator ride I have ever had. Regardless, I realized so the world goes, go I.

As you go about your busy lives today, do what you can for the Haitian people. Domate your time or blood. Open your wallets and give a little cash. Or just pray, they need that, too. I can assure you, the world does the same thing for us.

No comments: