Thursday, October 30, 2008

It's Not as Random as it Looks - Part 1



Alternate title - How a couple of tourists learn to become travelers



Late in 1999, my sister suggested the family take a Three Continent cruise to celebrate the millennium. The cruise embarked from Athens, with stops in Cairo, Jerusalem and Istanbul. I’m ashamed to admit, once we agreed David and I absolutely provided zero planning or input probably because we were racked with fear.

My mother certainly did not help our morale as she called frequently to remind us that God would protect us if he could and that we should really think twice about getting on the plane. Fortunately, much to our surprise, the destinations were wonderful and we needed little input. However, I digress. First, let’s go back to what we thought might happen. First, we thought we might contract every awful disease known to man. We made a trip to the county health department to have inoculations against malaria, cholera, hepatitis A, B, & C and who knows what other horrible worms or flesh-eating bacteria. Ten to fifteen shots later, we were safe. Fear of plague and other maladies extended to packing as well. The travel bag brimmed with all sorts of first aid and life-saving remedies. In addition, we were sure to end up lost or in a jail cell and without our passports so we made ten extra copies of them each and gave them out like candies to our loved ones – then hugged tightly because it would be the last human contact we would ever have. After reviewing checklist after checklist of insurance-minded planning scenarios, we were ready to be off to our death and a lovely vacation of a lifetime, which it was, and all the vacations since have been.

Upon arriving very safely at our ship docked at Pireaus, Greece, our lack of preparation for the vacation really hit home. With the exception of the pyramids at Giza, we had no idea of what the region had to offer. Without researching any of the tours beforehand, we blindly chose most days tours. In addition to Cairo/Giza, we felt safe in choosing Bethlehem and Old Town Jerusalem and the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. Luckily, we also chose the archeological dig at Akitiri Santorini, the Palace of the Grand Masters in Rhodes and Ephesus in Turkey. We had a wonderful time with absolutely no fore thought or planning on our own.

As we sat on the fantail watching Santorini getting smaller in the distance, my mother said, ‘where are we going next year’? “Next year”. I thought, “I can go again?” Upon reflection, we realized we loved travel and we would try it again. The following July found us in Rome on another cruise – this time the Western Mediterranean with ports that included Naples, Valetta, Malta, Florence, Barcelona and the French Riviera. It was a lovely trip and I enjoyed every minute of it. However, if the trip had any ‘aha’ moment, it was due to our friend Stephen. After the cruise, we stayed two extra nights in Rome. I was scared out of my mind. I had been lead around Europe twice by the hand – what would I do on my own? Stephen insisted we get out and see Rome. Walk among the Romans and get gelato. I found I enjoyed walking at my own pace. Right then I decided I would have to conquer my fear of the unknown and attempt independent travel.

Thanks to Stephen, we have ridden the Tube in London, rented a car in Tuscany, and David and I have argued over directions in at least seven countries. Today, many months of pre-planning goes into each trip. Guide books, internet sites, word of mouth, we use them all to make sure we are able to fully appreciate whatever region we visit.

No comments: